Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Why Am I Happy?

A question I get a lot from people that may or may not really know me too well is, "Why are you so happy all the time?"  And it dawned on me that I have never really answered this question in full detail.

At church on Easter Sunday (I promise this isn't all about religion), Father Pat said something that I once heard as a child which is basically this, "There are certain people you encounter and they are genuinely happy and radiant and it just feels great to be around them.  They are people of God and live their lives through him.  Through God they find happiness and comfort."  I nearly cried when I heard this because it is something I've tried to do my whole entire life.  I've always tried to be a better person and be a shinning light on the world.  I want to leave this world knowing that I lived a happy life.

Now, my life has not been a life without struggle.  My family struggles every day.  I struggle every day but when life seems like it is getting too much for me to handle I say this in my prayers, "I thank you Lord for my faults and for my weaknesses...For all the struggle and strife I have witnessed and endured--Through this I find comfort in your divine love and the bond I have is strengthened."

For my friends that don't understand my faith or faith in general that statement sounds like a whole bunch of "poppy cock" but that is really how I believe.  As silly as it may seem to those that don't believe, I find my happiness in the comfort of knowing that I am not and will never be alone.  It quite honestly makes me feel stronger and happier.

Ok, so religion isn't the only thing that has taught me how to continuously be happy and positive.  I learned a long time ago that being upset will not produce many friends.  Being closed off will not bring many people to you. Being a person that people want to be around, that will not only bring people into your life but it will make your life better. Being happy is a choice. You have to bring yourself to make active descisions that will make your life happier.

I have made plenty of friends in my life time.  It is easy for me to make friends.  I don't have fear of rejection of these people that don't know me.  I don't need their approval to make me happy.  I just want to get to know them because they could make my life a little bit happier or even better--I could make their life a little bit happier.  I like making people happy.  Working retail, when someone finds bridesmaid dresses or better yet a wedding dress--it is the happiest moment for me.  Like, you have no idea.  Happiness is so contagious that I love surrounding myself with people that make me happier.

If you want to be happier, this is the trick that has worked wonders for me: Just do you. Surround yourself with things that make you happy, people that make you happy, work that makes you happy.  Do things for you.  But don't stop there, do thing for other people.  Give people more than what they ask for or what they think they deserve.  Be the light and change you want to see in the world. Trust me.  You might not always be happy but you will live a happier life.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment