Thursday, August 21, 2014

Womanly Insecurities

I work in retail. I know a thing or two about boosting an ego. I do it on the daily. "That makes you look so gorgeous! I am loving your body. It is like--VAH VAH VAH VOOM! You seriously need to buy this dress because if you don't, I'm you buy it for you!" Yes, I'm that sales person (FYI, I don't make commission). However, I don't always make those comments because I like to be honest with my customers. "No. Just no. Put something else on. You want me to be honest? The other one is nicer and it is cheaper. Buy that one." Why? Why am I honest? Because being honest is just the type of person I am. And the more they really love the items you helped them choose the more likey you will have a repeat customer on your hands. And I LOVE repeat customers. 

Do you know what I love most though? I love giving women the chance to feel beautiful again. Some women come into the store having a terrible day, month, year... They come in expecting to just buy one thing for an event they have to go to and end up leaving with so much more. I've had women crying in dresses because they actually feel beautiful...and it is because I got them to feel that way. Shopping can be very therapeutic (especially if you have me selling you clothes Teehee). I mean, yes it is stressful when you can't seem to find exactly what you want to wear...but there are times that putting on the right outfit and having someone else verify that you look as good as you think you do--Honey, let me tell you it is the best feelings ever! And it hurts to see how broken some of these women's spirits are. They say things like, "My pooch is hanging out." "Look at my fat jiggle." "I look like a stuffed sausage." And to those statements I have to look them in the eye and remind them, "You know what? No. You are NOT fat. You are beautiful. There is no fat shaming here." And it isn't only the bigger women that feel self-conscience about things. I've had rail thin girls complain about not having breasts to fill dresses out, being so thing that it looks like they are drowning in the dress, that things make them look thinner... And bustier women who feel like their cleavage is too much, that the shirt draws too much attention to their breasts even though they are full covered. At the end of the day, we all have these insecurities. And as women, we really need to not point out the flaws of our peers. I might have a pimple on my face. You don't have to notify me of the huge spot on my face that is glowing red even with make-up over it because guess what...I SAW IT ALREADY. Shocked? Because you shouldn't be--IT IS ON MY FACE!

Let's just be courteous of the other women we encounter. You have your soft spots and she has her own. So be uplifting, be encouraging and be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment